Wednesday, March 30, 2011

TUNA!

The king of all fish, the ruler of the Vahalla of fishermen!

That is what Ernest Hemingway called Tuna. I was "into" Papa after reading a delightful book on food and Hemingway. The author went through all of Hemingway's books, writings, columns, and interview and came up with recipes and commentaries on Hemingway's gustatory loves. Yesterday's Lion meal was his recipe. So I came across something he wrote in "The Sun Also Rises", which he wrote in the summer of 1925 in Pamplona. He writes of the comraderie of men in a bar, arms about each other drinking Rioja wine and enjoying Escabeche de Atun, marinated tuna with onions. It sounded so appealing to me I made it for dinner this evening and my good friend, buddy, companion and son Orion enjoyed it with me as we retold the days walk and the running of the Boston autos through the narrow streets and confusing intersections.





I, for one, have been having a wonderful life.

3 comments:

  1. Yum! This I would like! What a good Papa.

    LT

    ReplyDelete
  2. In Hawaii your marinated tuna (or other raw seafood) is called poke ("po-kay" or "po-kee") It's great at sunset with some taro chips and a mai tai. Maybe you should have a little luau in Boston.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now,I could eat this with you! And I like your version of Pamplona better, too.
    Good spirits to you all.

    ReplyDelete