Thursday, March 31, 2011

Brains, Balls, Bunnies and Boylston



We both had a very full day today and it is not over. Orion spent nearly five hours with a nordic psychologist Dr. Davidsdottir getting every corner of his brain pried open for a complete baseline cognitive assessment prior to his six weeks of radiation therapy sometime after Swarthmore Commencement. She says to me, "well, I guess I do not have to tell you that he is highly intelligent and has no learning disabilities". I replied "no, I guess he has that going for him".

While he was solving puzzles I headed out through the Common and down Boylston with the goal of reaching the Back Fens and Fenway, No, not the ballpark but the wetlands, where I hoped I would get a fix of nature. Nope. The Fen is filled with non-native invasive plants, trash and Canada geese. Little else. Sigh. I did enjoy Boylston Avenue with its myriad of human characters and bizarre outfits from drunks, to musicians, to toughs, to drop dead gorgeous women. Here is what I did not see- the elderly. One of my growing irritations with Boston is the condition of the sidewalks. Not one has been suitable for an elderly walker. Bricks are missing, curbs are heaved up, no utility or city worker thinks anything of leaving bolts and open wires growing up out of the sidewalks. Not a place for a walker.

Now as we round out wild meat week we have two choices that we have selected, one for tonight and one for tomorrow during the April 1 snowstorm. Wild Boar Balls or Bunny Sausages. More on those anon.

The photo is of poor hungry Orion after five hours of testing waiting for me to photograph his lunch, The 21st Amendment Burger at the lunch bar across from the State House, appropriately called the 21st Amendment. He says it was fabulous. I celebrated the actual amendment by having a beer.

3 comments:

  1. I'd love one of those onion rings. You two certainly have a foodfest going on. Does anyone want me to explain the origin Dr. Davidsdottir's name? Did she have an accent, or not?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you availed yourselves of the Boston MFA current exhibits . refurbished rotundas, halls and galleries. Easily worth several days attendance. Isabella Stuart Gardiner Museum is interesting sublime with concert and/or lunch.Community Gardens of every passion,mode and fashion stretch for several acres along the urban river/creek near the MFA/Fenway brownstones.Interesting survey of extant garden design ideas and applications.....Happy Sauntering..... DW

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is a restaurant in San Francisco called the 21st Amendment. Appropriate. Orion certainly seems to regain his appetite quickly. I'm glad.

    Linda T

    ReplyDelete