Friday, February 11, 2011

Up and Down Day



I finally caught the MGH helicopter coming in and landing, bringing in a patient and then leaving. I did not photograph the patient but I did wait to get this shot of the aircraft leaving. You can see the landing pad, fire suppression nozzles, landing lights. Off to the right is the windsock. As he takes off he slides away from the building. In the background near is the Boston Science Museum and in the distance straight back is Cambridge and Somerville.

Orion had a busy day yesterday. Sally's cousin Susan kept him company and protected him while I was back in Northampton for the day closing on a condo with Sally. Orion was also visited by my brother Dave, on his way up to Maine to see his new grandson. By the time I got back to the hospital at 5:30 pm, my old friend Nick had arrived. He and I had a perfunctory pizza dinner in the cafeteria and then after visiting with Orion some more and finishing out the day's chemo we headed over to the Harvard Gardens, a bar jammed with youth. I was easily the oldest person there. I pointed this out to Nick and that most of the bar patrons were beautiful young thirty year old women, and he says, "I didn't notice". Well good for his partner Betsy, but I always look.

Today Orion has been exhausted, sleeping more than awake. He is also not eating as much. The nurses claim he is doing better than most on chemo and that I should not worry. I do of course. I do.

Sally arrives tonight for the weekend.

2 comments:

  1. Ah, Harvard Gardens. When I worked at MGH that was the after work place to go, being just across the street. I don't remember it being mostly youth, but of course I was one of them then.
    No way to avoid it. Chemo knocks the stuffings out of you. I'm glad Orion isn't getting the worst possible effects, but of course we wish he wasn't getting any side effects. This will pass. Every patient should have someone to worry like you.
    I saw a flock of robins in Greenfield today. Yes, I'm told they don't really migrate, but they surely get out of Ashfield. Also saw a sign stuck in a snowbank in front of a house saying "For Sale—Unassembled Snowmen"
    Linda T.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Worrying is in the job description. It's nice of the Doc to tell you not to do your job. In other areas we might be offended being told not to do our job. It's kind of funny. But we do the worrying job of parenting so well, it sometimes needs to be discouraged. That's love. Happy Valentines Day.

    ReplyDelete