Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Skullduggery

So this morning I needed to stay at the apartment to take delivery of the Neulasta, this cool chemical injection that supercharges Orion's bone marrow into producing white blood cells as if there is no tomorrow. Trouble is the insurance company does not want to pay for it. They think, "hey we have been rubbing two sticks together and praying for the last 3 billion years and that has worked fine". Our doctor's insist and the evil corporation relents but stipulates that the doctors can't get it, I have to. In perfect silliness the doctors tell me that once I can score the Neulasta, they will keep it "safe" for me in their refrigerator. Does this sound fishy to you? Wait.

This morning, remember this morning? I hear a tap at my window just as the sun chases away the last of the cold night. There is a guy below me on the street and he is throwing pebbles or brick chips at my window. I go down and step onto the street. He is gone. I turn back toward the door and I hear a shhhipp, just like a birder calling a dickey bird in. I look and just there in the shadow of our building, a step or two down an alley, is the guy. He is dressed in black, a scarf pulled up around his face. He beckons me over and beneath his coat pulls out the azure blue syringe of Neulasta. I give him $250 dollars in cash and he turns on his heel and walks quickly away. Back upstairs I get an email from the pharmacy showing that I have paid and that they will be billing the insurance company for another $3300.

Orion soldiers on.

4 comments:

  1. What is the matter with insurance companies!? And it'a getting worse. I got mine for a few dollars. We picked it up at the pharmacy. No question about getting it. But I knew lots of people couldn't get it if they didn't have the same insurance. This is essential stuff and no longer "experimental". Ok, I'm ranting. But this is another example of how we don't have a health care plan in this country. We have an insurance business.

    Linda T

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's no question that the health insurance paradigm in this country is all backwards and only those who really need it get to experience the true depth of its insanity! I appreciate your ability to turn it into an entertaining story when it only solicits profanity from me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What?!? Pebbles on the window??!! I don't quite follow this. Apparently you knew the guy in the shadows was legit. I think my sister's insurance paid for her neulasta. Our country has the MOST screwed up health care and health insurance delivery. It makes me SICK! Oh, but if I am sick, then I need insurance to be treated....and so it goes.

    ReplyDelete