Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Another Escape Attempt

Orion has just been cleared to leave town so we are going to attempt it. I gave my car up a few weeks ago so our only way back home is to get in a car with therapists on Craigslist or on Peter Pan bus from South Station. I tried to buy tickets online but you need to print them, not wave your iPad or iPhone at them. So I check for reviews of this trip, the bus, the trip. Out of hundreds of reviews ALL say stay away, worst experience they have ever had.

Clearly none of the reviewers has brain cancer or has a child with cancer. I thought of the many times that Rachel took Peter Pan back and forth from NYC when she was in college. She always seem to have some dramatic and outrageous story about her adventures. Sally and I laughed at her exaggerations. After reading the horror stories on the review sites it seems she had all those terrible adventures and if anything, down played them for our peace of mind.

Well after the last few months I think we can take Almost anything. So off we go to South Station, hoping to make Amherst by dark.

UPDATE! We made it back by 6. Uneventful until we walked through the door and the little terrier vomited her weight at my feet. Sally says, well its a good thing you are home!

8 comments:

  1. Oh boy. Good luck and god speed. I took many a Peter Pan trip from New York to MA in my day. They were all disasters. Have a lovely time at home!
    ~ Naomi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great to hear that O has been cleared to go home! I have no doubt that you both will make it safely to the homestead, and I can't wait to read about the odyssey.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Exaggerations?! I'm insulted. Sometimes truth is creepier, more dangerous, and smellier than fiction. I hope you paid attention to the name of your bus - I advise against Hungry Wolves.
    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our ex-neighbor traveled on our local equivalent, Adirondack Trailways. Once time some nut pulled out a gun and made the bus pull over outside of metro (ha ha) Pine Hill. Sara said it was then she realized that there is nowhere to hide on a bus. Something to think about.

    Virginia on the other hand, puts in the ear buds, and never misses a beat. Another thing to think about.

    Glad you are all home and that Orion, you are cleared to beat feet out of Bean Town back to the homestead.
    Love Annie and Paul

    ReplyDelete
  5. I guess I was lucky, but I think it was a Peter Pan bus I took from Boston to Hartford in Nov. 2009 for the HPHS reunion. A nice ride, and then when I arrived there were Marylou and Michalene waiting for me at the station, with big smiles, and suddenly it felt as though no time had passed...Miraculous.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry I did not mean to be anonymous. That was Alice/Helen in the happy bus ride above.

    ReplyDelete
  7. ******************************************
    This is a certificate for one free trip to or from Boston when the need arises again. I have the spare time (usually) and may even be able to do a trip on short notice. Good driving record, sanity, coping ability, nursing experience! hoffmann.chris@comcast.net to get my phone number if you don't have it.
    ******************************************

    ReplyDelete
  8. Why didn't you opt to ride from the therapists found on Craigslist?!

    ReplyDelete