Tuesday, January 11, 2011

The Money Shot or The Last Full Measure of Devotion

Today was my and Orion's 12th day in Boston and its environs in the campaign against his cancer. We managed to avoid stopped traffic congestion but I was weary from another commute on the Pike. This time we went to a sperm bank with the intention of opening an account and Orion making a deposit. We have been told clearly that the chemo and radiation are likely to render him incapable of producing viable sperm so the time had come to set some aside.

I have never met anyone so clear headed and calm as my son Orion. He is equanimous beyond all measure. Imagine yourself sitting in the dowdy waiting room while your child collects his own DNA for preservation. It made me think of the effort to preserve the last good seeds of the world's plant life as we hurtle toward extinction.

They said to him give us a call and we will tell you how you did in an hour, so speeding westward on the MassPike he called. When they told him how many vials he had produced he said, could you repeat that? He underestimates and understates where I exaggerate. In this we were in agreement.

1 comment: