Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Waiting game

It's so hard for families. We arrived at 8 and were told they weren't ready for us. As we waited, I saw a woman try to peer into the unit. The glass on the door to enter ICU is opaque at waist level and above, but clear at the floor. I saw her squat and look around at ground level. I said, "I'm glad I'm not the only one who does that." She and her family had been waiting since 4:30am to see their loved one who was brought in at 8:30 last night. You know the staff is doing what they think is best, but it would be nice if they gave a little update "still not ready" every 1/2 hour or so.
Anyway, we only waited 45 minutes and ta-da, found Orion with a single EVD. One of the doctors stopped by to say the plan is to remove the other this evening or tomorrow, then send him out of ICU. Orion was eating breakfast and delegated the task of filling out the menu forms for today to us. He's getting used to the routine which makes me sort of sad.
Rachel and Dave are on their way, and we hear that the physical therapist will take him for another walk.

1 comment:

  1. Keep your sense of humor! My experience with teaching hospitals is that care plans are written in jello - slippery and always changing shape at no notice.
    Kathleen

    ReplyDelete