Thursday, July 21, 2011

In His Own Words

Wednesday July 20th, 2011 was the last day of my proton radiation therapy.  This marks the end of my cancer treatment, though I still have a few check-ups and a lifetime of periodic MRIs ahead of me.  I couldn't have made it this far without the incredible support of all my friends and family, but there are a few people that I think deserve special recognition and thanks:
  • My optometrist, Brian Wadman, who first noticed my swollen optic nerve and sent me for the MRI that revealed my tumor.
  • My neurosurgeon, Ziv Williams, who evidently heeded my warning that my brain is about all I have going for me.
  • My oncologist, David Ebb, who planned my treatment and kept a watchful eye over me throughout the ordeal.
  • My nurse, Patti Scott, who would smile and laugh with me as she drew tube after tube of blood samples from my chest-port.
  • My radiation oncologist, Shannon MacDonald, who was a match for my geekiness as she explained the inner workings of the MGH cyclotron.
  • My mother Sally, who kept at work during this difficult time, providing the top-notch health insurance that allowed me to be treated.
  • Most of all, my father Steve, who has been my roommate, nurse, chef, personal trainer, secretary, biographer, chauffeur, and friend during the worst 7 months of my life so far.
Orion

4 comments:

  1. Print that out, Steve. It is beautiful! Brings tears to my eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Orion--All so well said. And, thanks to your parents for living within reach of this world-class hospital. Add chief photographer, tour guide, and philosopher to your Dad's list of traits. Sally and Steve--you have been rocks. Orion--you rock. May this immense, intense life event become a blip on the screen of your long, healthy, and productive life!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cheers =D
    -Vanessa

    ReplyDelete